Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Pancreatitis


’Tis the season for family gatherings, gift giving and food galore. Veterinarians know this is also the season for canine pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), a painful, potentially life-threatening condition most commonly caused by overindulgence in foods that are particularly rich or fatty. And what kitchen isn't overflowing with such foods this time of year?
What Is the Pancreas?
The pancreas is a thin, boomerang-shaped, delicate-appearing organ that resides in the abdominal cavity, tucked up against the stomach and small intestine. Though the pancreas may be diminutive in appearance, its actions are mighty! It is the body’s source of insulin (necessary for controlling blood sugar levels) as well as digestive enzymes, which are necessary for proper absorption of nutrients. When pancreatitis is chronic or particularly severe, this little factory sometimes permanently closes down, resulting in diabetes mellitus and/or exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, requiring insulin injections and digestive enzyme replacement therapy, respectively.
When a dog eats, enzymes are released from the pancreas into the small intestine where they are activated for food digestion. Sometimes, for reasons we do not fully understand, these enzymes are activated within the pancreas itself, resulting in the inflammation of pancreatitis. In addition to eating rich or fatty foods, other known causes of pancreatitis include hormonal imbalances, inherited defects in fat metabolism and some medications. For some affected dogs, an underlying cause is never found. Symptoms associated with pancreatitis are variable but may include vomiting, abdominal discomfort, and decreased activity and appetite.

How a Vet Diagnoses Pancreatitis

Short of performing a pancreatic biopsy (a surgical procedure), diagnosing pancreatitis can be challenging, because noninvasive tests are fraught with false-negative and false-positive results. Veterinarians must rely on a combination of the following:
  • A history of dietary indiscretion, vomiting and lethargy.
  • Physical examination findings (particularly abdominal pain).
  • Characteristic complete blood cell count (CBC) and blood chemistry abnormalities.
  • A positive or elevated Spec cPL (canine pancreas-specific lipase) blood test.
  • Characteristic abnormalities found on an abdominal ultrasound.

Treatment of Pancreatitis

There is no cure for pancreatitis — much like a bruise, the inflammation must resolve on its own. Treatment consists of hospitalization for the administration of intravenous fluids, antibiotics to prevent secondary infection or abscess formation, and injectable medications to control vomiting, pain and stomach acid secretion. Affected dogs should ideally be monitored around the clock for the life-threatening complications that sometimes accompany pancreatitis, such as kidney failure, heart rhythm abnormalities, respiratory distress and bleeding disorders. If your dog has pancreatitis, count on a minimum of two to three days of hospitalization and be sure to ask who will be caring for your dog during the night.
At-home treatment for pancreatitis typically involves feeding a low-fat or fat-free diet. This may be a life-long recommendation, particularly if your dog has been a repeat offender. Most dogs fully recover with appropriate therapy; however, some succumb to complications associated with pancreatitis.

Preventing Pancreatitis
1.   When in doubt, check with your veterinarian before offering human food to your pet. This is especially true if your pet is on a special diet or has an existing medical condition.
2.   If you feel you must give holiday foods, do so sparingly and only if well-tolerated by your dog’s gastrointestinal tract and waistline. Keep in mind that whether offered a teaspoon or a tablespoon of something delicious, most dogs will gulp it down in the same amount of time and reap the same psychological benefit.
3.     Don’t offer tidbits from the table while you are eating. This is a setup for bad behavior. Offer the treat only after you've left the table.
4.     Most importantly, if you shouldn't be eating the food yourself (emphasis on shouldn't , please don’t feed it to your dog! By all means, give your precious pup a bit of turkey breast but without the skin attached and unaccompanied by fat-laden sour cream mashed potatoes and gravy. Remember, most dogs are so darned excited about getting a treat, they don’t care what it is, only that they’re getting it!
Some people dream of sugarplum fairies, a white Christmas and stress-free family gatherings. I’m dreaming of a holiday season in which not a single dog develops pancreatitis!
Wishing you and your four-legged family members a joyful and healthy holiday season.

All information from Vet Street.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Took Onglyza off and on for a year. I  have an enlarged adrenal gland. Still I await the outcome of that CT, but I know that much. Will find out more.
I had the CT because of chronic pancreatic pain that started out as "attacks" from a couple of times a month to finally after 3 months of use without interruption, "attacks" 2-3 times a week. My PA put Onglyza on my allergies list.
In the meantime, I lost almost 50 lbs in 5 months due to illness. Loss of appetite, pancreatic pain, chronic diarrhea, then eventually, inability to move my bowels. Severe back pain from the pancreas, and severe chest pain sent me to the ER where I was worked up for cardiac pain. I was cardiac cleared, but told my amylase was very low.
Still seeking a diagnosis, but I lay the blame squarely on Onglyza. I'd had pancreatic issues in the past, and argued with the PA that prescribed it, she was calling me non-compliant, and I feared repercussion from my insurance company.
I even took an article about the dangers of Onglyza, particularly in patients with a history, and she made me feel foolish.
I wish I had listened to my instincts, I fear not only damage to my pancreas that is irreversible, but also severe damage to my left kidney, though I have bilateral kidney pain.
I was off all diabetes meds, and control sugars strictly low to no carb. I can barely eat anymore, I have severe anorexia.
I would warn anyone taking Onglyza to consider a change and try Dr Itua Herbal Medicine, and anyone considering taking it, to select a different avenue. I have been suffering severely for about 9 months, but the past 7 months have been good with the help of Dr Itua herbal medicine which I took for 4 weeks.
I have been off Onglyza now, for 7 months, and simply 100% improvement with the help of Dr Itua. I had none of these issues except a history of pancreatitis in my distant past.
I will recommend anyone here with health problem to contact Dr Itua on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com and whatsapp +2348149277967 also he ccure the following disease with his herbal medicines Hiv/Aids,Herpes,Copd, Glaucoma, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease, Enlarged prostate, Alzheimer's disease, Dementia. Fibroid,Diabete, Multiple Sclerosis, Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv, Hepatitis B, Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,parkinson,cancer,als.

Post a Comment